Articles & News
Putting On A Great Run In Spite Of COVID
Russell Forest Run
Saturday, February 27, 2021
10K Start: 7:45am
5K Start: 7:55am
By Robert Gunn, Race Director
Someone once told me that the only constant is change. There is a lot of truth in that statement. Over the past 11 months, we have learned a lot about change! At this year’s Russell Forest Run, some things won’t change. Everyone who registers will receive the long-sleeve Russell Forest Run T-Shirt. The course is the same as last year with the starting line near Catherine’s Market. As we’ve done the past 11 years, the run will begin with the 10K at 7:45am, and there will be packaged food and beverages at The Stables to take with you following the race. All proceeds benefit the Alexander City Schools Education Foundation!
However, there are a few changes of which you should be aware:
- There is a virtual option this year, so you have a choice! Join us at Russell Crossroads on Saturday, February 27, toe the starting line at the Town Green, and run through the Russell Forest. Or you can run the race on your own anytime between February 20 and 27; just download the RaceJoy app and upload your time (Virtual FAQ on our website).
- There won’t be late registration at the Discovery Center on Friday or Saturday during packet pickup. Please register online and pick up your packets on-site.
- Packet Pickup will only be on Friday from 4-6pm and Saturday from 6-7am. We won’t be able to change shirt sizes once they are given to you.
- Masks or facial coverings will be required in the starting area until you begin running. You may remove your mask when you begin running and either carry it with you or drop it in the trash can placed near the starting line. Please social distance.
- The course will be well marked, but due to COVID guidelines, the volunteer guides won’t be along the course this year.
- Unmanned hydration stations will be in place. All water will be bottled.
- Masks and drinks will be available at the finish line, but please social distance as you make your way to The Stables.
- There won’t be a post-race party at The Stables, but packaged food and drink will be provided. Again, please do not gather.
- Awards will be mailed to the overall winners in the 10K and 5K and to the age group winners of both races.
As always, we want this to be a fun event for everyone running, but we also want it to be as safe as possible. Come join us. Registration for in-person and virtual is open. Please keep in mind, regardless of the changes, it’s the kids who really win!
For those who may have missed the 2020 run, we do have a few of the 2020 T-shirts for sale. These will be available during packet pickup at the Discovery Center and after the run at The Stables.
If you have questions, please email me at [email protected], or you can call or text 256.496.4232.
See you there!